Thursday, October 20, 2011

Riding with the kiddos..

Out for a warm weather fall ride
My kids ride bikes, did you know that? Of course you did. I get asked quite a few questions as we ride around town and go racing all over the country, this one the most it seems...

Q: When did (insert kids name) start riding a MTB/CX Bike?
A: Karen was 11 for the MTB and 14 for the CX, she begged for a MTB for her birthday. Karen had two things driving her desire to try MTB'ing, one was to try what Dad was doing and the other I won't go into details on, let's just call it to escape from her day to day life.
A: Nate was 11 for the MTB and 13 for the CX and he just likes riding bikes and had some friends that were on MTB's so away he went.
A: Tori was 9  for both the MTB and CX and you know, little sis can do anything big sis and bro can do!

MO State Crit, all three got hardware that day.
I hear this quite a bit as well  "You must be so proud to have (insert kids name) racing etc etc". Of course, I am as proud as any dad that is given the rare chance to do something he loves doing with the children he loves, trust me it's a double bonus of large proportions and I know it's a moment in time that I will cherish. Hopefully when they are all grown and have lives and family of their own we can, just perhaps, all go ride together, that would be pretty awesome to do someday. I am a young father and when I am 60 years old Karen will be 38, Nate 36 and Tori 32. I hope to still be riding lots and racing some, I can only imagine a day when Grandpa (that's me) heads out for my first ride with one of his grandkids, that would be a special day indeed!

Check out this video of another dad enjoying the trails with his 3year old on a strider bike, very cool stuff.


Guess it's never to early to take the kids out a ride a bike, you never know where the trail will lead them...


First quad podium day racing MTB's in 2010
One of the first rides together 2007




Karen 4 years after her first MTB ride (4th @ Nats) @ 15
Karen's first MTB ride at 11

No comments:

Post a Comment